Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Babycakes chocolate and vanilla cupcakes

I am going to post here the basic gluten free recipe from Babycakes by Erin Mckenna that I have used for cupcakes. They are different than any cupcake I have eaten, worth a try for sure!

Chocolate

Ingredients:

1 3/4 c garbanzo-fava bean flour (I used regular bean flour, but I have seen specific type at Farm Boy)
1/2 c potato starch
1 c unsweetened cocoa flour
1/4 c arrowroot
1 tbs plus 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
1 c coconut oil
1 1/3 c agave nectar
3/4 c applesauce
3 tbs vanilla
1 c hot water or hot coffee (I think coffee worked best for me)
Frosting of your choice! (I have made coconut frosting and peanut butter frosting for these, mmm! I have yet to use the Babycakes recipe for this though)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Whisk together dry ingredients and stir in the wet until smooth. Pour 1/3 cup into each muffin cup. Bake on center rack for 22 minutes, rotating pan after 15 minutes. Let stand in tins for 20 minutes and transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in fridge! These turn out so dense and delicious!

Vanilla

Ingredients:

2 c garbanzo-fava bean flour (again I used bean flour)
1 c potato starch
1/2 c arrowroot
1 tbs plus 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
2/3 coconut oil
1 1/3 c applesauce
3 tsp vanilla
grated zest of one lemon
1 c hot water
Frosting (I used coconut)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Whisk together dry ingredients and stir in the wet except the water and combine. Add water and stir until smooth. Pour 1/3 cup into each muffin cup. Bake on center rack for 22 minutes, rotating pan after 15 minutes. Let stand in tins for 20 minutes and transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in fridge! The lemon makes these interesting, and they are dense as well.

The ingredients in these may not be in your cupboard. I did most of my stocking up at the Natural Food Pantry! Agave nectar and coconut oil are expensive, but they are really nice to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment