Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dessert: Chocolate Mint Chip CUPCAKE Cone

Wandering through the grocery store aisle yesterday I happened upon some sugar cones. It reminded me that I suck at making cake pops and I've wanted to try cake cones instead. I turned the box to the ingredients and was pleasantly surprised that the President's Choice brand had no milk or eggs in it. I could definitely make my own sugar cones, but its always nice to simplify, especially on a first attempt.
This morning I googled cupcake cones, and read quickly through a recipe by Martha Stewart. I find its good to get a sense of how things will work before I willy nilly start making stuff up. Martha is always inspirational too. So I used her instructions on using tinfoil over a pan to stick the cones in for baking. It would have worked well if I hadn't put too many in, but in the end I figured it out. I decided on an ice cream inspired flavour for my cones, mint chocolate chip. Chocolate cupcake batter with a hint of peppermint, and mint icing with chopped up chocolate chips. Mmm. 

Chocolate cupcake batter (From Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
3/4 cup sugar 
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla 
1 cup flour 
1/3 cup cocoa 
3/4 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt
AND 1 tsp peppermint extract. 
AND sugar or waffle cones to bake in. I used 16, but it will vary depending on the size. According to Martha, you put 2-3 tablespoons of batter per cone.

Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover a deep baking pan of some sort (I used an angel food cake style pan) securely with tin foil. Use a pointy object to poke a hole, and insert your first cone until it touches the bottom of the pan, or until just a bit is sticking out. Continue until all your cones are in the pan, and do not put them too close together or the tin foil will rip and spill your batter. Use a second pan if you need more room. Learn from my mistakes people! Do not try to fit more in.
Pour some batter into each cone. You probably shouldn't overfill too much, although it might work to have muffin tops out of the cone. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean, mine took about 25 minutes. Start checking around 18. Allow to cool. 

While the cones cool, prepare icing. 

Mint Chip Icing 

1/2 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance. A combination of margarine and shortening would work, or even some coconut oil. It has been really hot here though, so I did not want my icing to melt) 
3 1/2 cups icing sugar 
1/4 cup (more or less depending on how thin you want it)soy milk 
1/2 tsp vanilla 1 tsp peppermint extract 
1 smidgeon green food colouring 
1/2 cup chopped chocolate chips (chopping makes the texture more like ice cream, worth it!)

Whip the margarine with beaters til soft and fluffy. Add sugar and milk small amounts at a time, alternating. Once they are incorporated, add extracts and food colouring. Whip a minute or two and then fold in chocolate. Refrigerate until cupcakes are completely cooled. It is nice to work with icing that is a little firm. 

I attempted to use an ice cream scoop to put my icing on the cones, but it wasn't successful. My scoop lacks an eject button, which might help. I smeared it on and it looked good anyway. I fashioned a little stand for my cones, but they were too tall to fit under my cake stand lid, so I ended up laying them down. Whatever works!
Yuuum.

No comments:

Post a Comment