Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dessert: Amazing (Raw) Vegan Whipped Cream

There are many recipes for vegan whipped cream, but this is the one I have played with and found works best for me!

Amazing (Raw) Vegan Whipped Cream
1/2 cup soaked raw cashews
1 can coconut milk
2 Tbs (or to taste) agave nectar or maple syrup (or other sweetener)
1/4 cup coconut oil (you could probably get away with less, perhaps 2 Tbs)

Blend all together in blender until smooth. I use a magical Vitamix, so this works really fast and easily for me. Some blenders won't get the smooth consistency, especially if the cashews aren't very soft from soaking.
Refrigeration will cause mixture to firm up nicely, sometimes I add more coconut milk and blend again just before I use it to thin it out.
If you are unfamiliar with working with coconut oil, it can be a little tricky when blending because it is a solid when under 24 degrees Celsius, but blending can warm it and make it a liquid, causing the cream to be runny. Refrigeration solves this of course, and even if it is runny it is still delicious! In any case, I usually make this a day or two in advance to ensure it is thick and creamy.
This stuff is always a hit and is even better than real whipped cream! Serve on chocolate anything with fruit.
I plan to play around with this too... I'm thinking a couple tablespoons of cacao powder to make chocolate whip? The possibilities are endless.

1 comment: